Cancellation insurance contract: boat rental and skipper service
Unexpected events can occur and cause the cancellation of your cruise.
To insure the boat rental and the skipper’s service in case of cancellation, we have set up an insurance contract in partnership with Ouest Assurances Plaisance.
Capt’n Boat offers an optional Cancellation Insurance and a Franchise Buyback for customers living in Europe.
1. Why subscribe to a cancellation insurance ?
You are a European resident and you have rented a boat. Whatever your destination, you don’t think about the unexpected event that can prevent you from leaving.
- With the cancellation insurance « The Insurer refunds to the Insured the amount of the Cancellation fees or the Modification fees, invoiced, under deduction of the Franchise whose amount appears in the Table of guarantee». Subscribing to the cancellation insurance prevents you from losing the deposit paid for your rental in case you have to cancel due to one of the events covered by the contract affecting you or a member of your crew
- Exclusivity Capt’n Boat, the professional skipper can also be covered by the cancellation contract! Thus, subscribing to the cancellation insurance prevents you from losing your deposit if the skipper cancels at the last moment due to an event covered by the contract and Capt’n Boat was unable to find a replacement.
This insurance is also applicable to illnesses related to an epidemic or pandemic such as COVID-19.
When booking a boat rental, you can subscribe to a cancellation insurance in partnership with Ouest Assurances within 15 days following the booking of your boat rental ( Please note that it is the date of the booking of the rental that counts and not the date of the skipper). This cancellation insurance covers the total amount of the service declared in the contract (boat rental + skipper service), based on the presentation of all the invoices.
Please refer to the General Conditions of our partner Ouest Assurances.
- If the renter of the boat cancels, following the occurrence of an event not covered by the cancellation insurance contract, the cancellation conditions of Capt’n Boat as well as those of the rental company from which you rented the boat are applicable.
- If the renter of the boat and/or the skipper cancels, following the occurrence of an event guaranteed in the cancellation insurance contract, the deposits paid for the boat rental and the skipper’s service will be refunded to the renter.
In any scenario, if the skipper cancels, Capt’n Boat will do its best to find a replacement.
- Without Cancellation Insurance Contract:
If the renter decides to cancel following an event, without insurance he will lose the amount of the boat rental (according to the cancellation conditions of the boat rental company) as well as the amount of the skipper’s service (according to the cancellation conditions of Capt’n Boat).
If the skipper cancels, and Capt’n Boat is not able to replace him, then the skipper’s service is fully refunded but not the boat rental.
- With Cancellation Insurance Contract:
If the renter cancels following the occurrence of an event guaranteed in the cancellation contract, then the deposits paid for the boat rental and the skipper’s services will be refunded.
If the skipper cancels following the occurrence of an event guaranteed in the contract, then the deposits paid for the skipper’s services and the boat rental are refunded to the renter.
2. Why subscribe to the franchise buyback ?
As a renter of a pleasure boat, i.e. rented bareboat, you are responsible for it as the shipowner, whether there is a professional sailor or not. The boat rental company will ask you to leave a deposit that serves as a guarantee in case of damage (this guarantee is equal to or greater than the amount of the deductible and covers the boat’s deductible, the loss or theft of equipment, and damage to third parties).
Also, even if you are sailing with a professional sailor, in order to reduce your risk in case of damage, you can subscribe to a deductible buy-back at Ouest Assurances Plaisance. Thus, all the events at sea ” shock, exceptional weather and fire ” which are not the fault of the skipper will be compensated* from the first euro.
Example: The ship slips at anchor, a collision (for which we do not know the person responsible), a sail is torn during a violent gale, the propeller is caught in a rope or a net…
*Within the limits and according to the contractual definition of the NI 262021.
3. How much does the cancellation insurance cost?
IMPERATIVE: The subscription to the insurance of the “Option 1 Cancellation, Assistance and interruption of stay” is 6% of the total amount of the charter (boat rental + cost of the Skipper service).
To this must be added the cost of the insurance policy (~20€).
4. How to subscribe to the cancellation insurance ?
1. Go to the website of our partner Ouest Assurances by clicking here
2. Fill in the requested information about the rental
Advice on the information to fill in on the Ouest Assurances website:
3. In the field “Charter Amount” please add the amount of the skipper(s) service to the amount of the boat rental
4. Include in the number of passengers, the number of skipper(s)
5. Enter the date of reservation of the boat rental. After 15 days, you will not be able to subscribe to the cancellation insurance
6. IMPERATIVE: Select in the Chosen Insurances the “Option 1 – Cancellation, Assistance and interruption of stay”, and Franchise Buyback, if desired.
7. Select Capt’n Boat from the Charter company list
8. You don’t know the name of the skipper yet? Indicate a provisional name (e.g. Jack Sparrow) while waiting to find the skipper that suits you. You can then request a modification with the definitive name of the skipper from our partner Ouest Assurances.
9. Follow the steps of subscription.
Opt for our cancellation insurance for your next skippered cruise!
By clicking on the button below you will be redirected to the website of our partner Ouest Assurances.